Subject: Repeatedly corrupted /dev
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <vdlinden@fwi.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1994 01:07:11
About a week ago, my /dev directory got corrupted (NetBSD 1.0-alpha,
386/40, 2 IDE disks). It took me a while to repair that, booting
from 0.9 floppies, etc. At first, I thought that it might have been
the fdesc filesystem, since that was union mounted on top of /dev.
So I removed that from /etc/fstab. However, it happened again today,
only less severe (my system is NetBSD 1.0-beta as of July 31st by now).

The symptoms are, that just 'ls' will not show certain files, and wildcard
expansion will also not find them. However, 'ls -al' reports:
<special_name>: Bad file descriptor
for all the device nodes that have been damaged. The only thing that
works is 'rm -rf /dev' and then a 'MAKEDEV all'.

I wonder what this could be. I am a little tight on diskspace in the
root partition:
/dev/wd0a        7660    7087    -193   103%    /
..but I doubt that that has anything to do with it. All my filesystems
are 'old' filesystems (but I am not going to upgrade them until there
are 1.0 boot floppies, just to be safe)

- Frank