Subject: Re: MSDOSFS problems
To: None <kenh@wrl.epi.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/1994 16:13:26

[Drew Hess wrote:]
>>Has anyone else had MSDOSFS problems in the last few days?  I'm running
>>a July 31 -current/i386 system (binaries and kernel), and whenever I try to
>>cp a file from a NetBSD partition to an MS-DOS filesystem the machine hangs
>>and I have to do a hard reset.
>
>Just curious; have you verified that the MS-DOS filesystem isn't corrupt?  I
>used to have similar problems until I ran CHKDSK under DOS and fixed some
>filesystem inconsistancies.

I have had similar problems, and CHKDSK found nothing wrong with my
disk before or after.  I am also using an IDE disk (Western Digital
WDAC2420); the MSDOS partition was fdisk'ed and formatted using MSDOS
6.00, and is 125 MB in size (2K clusters).  When I rebooted into DOS,
an 0-length entry for the file I had tried to write was in the
directory; so it created the directory entry OK but choked when it
tried to write the data.  I didn't get the problem consistently; I was
able to write some small files to the MSDOS partition before my system
hung.

I am getting the latest sources from iastate now; at some point in the
near future I'll build a kernel with DDB and see what I can find out.
However, since I know little about kernel innards, that probably won't
be much.
--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                    (PGP 2.6 public key available)