Subject: Re: SLIP/PPP crashes
To: None <michaelv@iastate.edu, current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/1994 14:36:48
First of all, look at the message you typed in:

trap type 6 code f8100000 eip f8100ff9 es f7bf0008 eflags 13292 cr2 f0 cpl ffffffff

I'd guess that %eip is near the end of cpu_switch(), but you can `nm
/netbsd | sort | more' and see for yourself where it is.  If it's the
same instructions that's at that address on my machine, then either
the kernel's %esp or the page table is corrupted.

The second thing to note is that %eflags includes both IOPL bits.
This means the process has I/O privileges.  Are you running an X
server on this machine?

A stack trace from DDB and a copy of your kernel would supply more
information.