Subject: "pmax" != DS5400!
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, port-pmax@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1994 15:31:42
Someone asked about NetBSD for the DS5400, and TDR (I think) pointed him at
the pmax port.

Unfortunately, unless I seriously misremember the 5400 series, that won't do
it.  Unlike its smaller brethren, the 5400 is a QBUS machine, and the pmax
port seems to support only TurboChannel and the genuine pmax's obio.

On the other hand, there's working QBUS support on my 4.3 tape -- it was
written and contributed to CSRG way back when by Mt. Xinu as part of the
MicroVAX II port of 4.3.  Is it safe to assume that this code is "clean"?  If
not, who's to ask to find out what code is "safe" and which isn't in abandoned
branches of the tree like the VAX and the Qbus and Unibus code that goes with
it?

Perhaps Mt. Xinu could re-contribute their Qbus code.  If I remember right,
there were drivers for the DHV11 and the RQDX disk controllers, but you'd need
to write a lot of drivers to use it with the DS5400...