Subject: Re: Generic audio driver.
To: Bill Squier <groo@menger.eecs.stevens-tech.edu>
From: Havard Eidnes <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1994 21:57:45
> A while ago there was some talk of developing a  hardware independant
> audio library.  Since my roommate and I are about to embark on a
> driver for the Windows Sound System (retch) I thought it a good idea
> to figure out the status of this (if any).

I have the start of a generic audio pseudo-device driver.  It is a
transformation of the bsd_audio.c/sb.c drivers in the current system.  I
did this so that I could start developing a device driver for my own audio
hardware -- that part has been slow going so far (still trying to get my
programmed loopback tests to work).  I have not been able to test the
transformed bsd_audio/sb driver pair, since I do not have a SoundBlaster.

This driver still basically presents the same interface to the user, i.e.
basically /dev/audio.  I have some thoughts on how a /dev/audioctl
interface could be implemented.

As for libraries and user programs that is uncharted territory for me for
the time being -- I've thought of a simple play/record pair of tools.

My changes are available on request -- if you want them contact me before
friday this week (I'm out travelling right now and will be unavailable
next week).

- Havard