Subject: Kermit Problems
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Mark P. Gooderum <mark@aggregate.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1994 11:28:01
I've been using various versions of the Kermit 1.90 alpha/beta here with
FlexFax 2.2.2.  With June 1 current FlexFax and kermit both worked fine to
a point, only lossage was kermit didn't quite do UUCP locking right and
didn't work in a setuid mode.

With July 22nd current, the kermit started showing the hang in open, ^C,
and then it worked, but that of course wreaked havoc with my automatic scripts.

I just crabbed the current 1.90 tar from kermit.cs.columbia.edu and built
it.  The only changes I needed were a netbsd: target that was a copy of the
bsd44c: target with -DSAVEDUIDS added (to get setuid behavior working right).
It works fine, doesn't hang, and even interacts properly with flexfax via
UUCP locking, something it never did before.

Yeah, I know, it's not the release kermit, but hey, it works.  Older kermits
don't seem to always get all the modem bit's right on newer BSDish systems.
(We've had similar problems 1.89 versus 1.90 kermit on our SunOS 4 machines).

-Mark