Subject: Re: Q's on 4.4-lite userland integration
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Steve M. Acheson <sma@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1994 14:28:10
tsarna@endicor.com (Ty Sarna) writes:

>Speaking of which, since we're getting close to 1.0, what are the goals
>for the next release (1.1 or 2.0 or whatever) in terms of new features,
>ports, etc?

Out of curiosity, is it going to be another year and a half before the
next release? :-) It has been kind of a pain the last few months,
telling people how great NetBSD has become, but when they ask how to
install the good stuff, having to give them complicated, and ever-
more-impossible to achieve, destructions on how to get upgraded to
current.  I really want to be able to point my friends and associates
at a stable release as great as 1.0, and being able to let them just
go at it.  So, I guess what I'm saying is, can we make the next major
release a little less ambitious, and, say, not more than six months
from the previous release (1.0)?  I'm not asking you to lower your
sites -- simply to take the leaps in small increments.  I think it
would really help make it usable for the people who can't quit grasp
upgrading to current, especially in the later stages.  This has really
been my only beef with the NetBSD development, thus far.

That said, please understand, overall, I think NetBSD-1.0 is the best
small-system unix available, bar none.  You guys have done one helluva
job!  Thanks for all your dedication.

>This was probably discussed at the NetBSD BOF, but for those
>of us who couldn't make it and didn't see the report on the BOF (was it
>ever posted?), it'd be nice to have a list of things we can look forward
>to/work towards. :-)

Yes, we've heard about all these people who went to see the eleet BOF,
but nobody posted a detailed summary!!  Inquiring minds still want to
know!  Would someone please be so kind as to take a couple hours and
sit down and write us up a report of the event?  We'd all appreciate
it, I'm sure. :-)

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.