Subject: Re: swap on sd1b?
To: None <Todd.Williamson@cs.cmu.edu>
From: Adam Glass <glass@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1994 23:52:35
> Whenever I try to boot off that drive, I get a panic right after it says
> "changing root device to sd1a".
> The error message is "swfree error 6" I think - it reboots too fast for
> me to be sure.

this is caused by a bug in vm_swap.c fixed since that snapshot.
Basically it is intolerant of not finding the primary swap partition
as configured in the kernel.

> The funny thing is, if I copy my 0.9 kernel onto that disk, it boots
> fine until it can't load 1.0a's /bin/sh.
>
> On a hunch, I swapped the SCSI id's of the first two drives, and it
> turns out that 1.0a will boot fine if the drive is sd0.
>
> So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

this is a bug, and it has been fixed.
if you want to run the kernel of off sd1, you should rebuild the
kernel to reflect that.

> The system: 486DX266, Bustek 542B, 16MB RAM, a bunch of SCSI devices
> (three 270 MB disks and a CDROM).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Todd.

The fix is in the current sources.  If you can't upgrade due to
bootstrapping problems or somesuch grab 'vm_swap.c' via ftp from lamp.

later,
Adam Glass