Subject: problems with source tarballs
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1994 15:56:03
Well, I've been trying to build kernels with the source tarballs from
this past weekend with poor results.  I'm using the binaries from the
latest binary dist tarballs, with the GENERIC-BT kernel out of that
set.  I did rebuilt config before doing kernels, from the sources with
the rest of the source tarballs.

First, I had that problem that I posted about a few days ago where
some symbols were undefined (P_BACK, P_FORW, and P_PRIORITY).  It
turns out that this was because I had a genassym binary in that dir
that didn't get removed by make clean, and didn't get rebuilt by the
makefile.  Once I removed that by hand, I was able to get a kernel to
link.

However, every kernel I've made so far, no matter what options I
enable or disable in my config file, doesn't get past the setting the
root partitions stage.  Also, a kernel made for me on someone else's
machine with sources from this week does exactly the same thing.  The
binary dist GENERIC-BT kernel does boot up ok, but doesn't have
support for all my devices.

What happens on the kernels I build is this: it goes through all the
autoconfiguration stuff, and everything looks like it's working ok.
Then it finally gets to the part at the end where it prints the
ttymask, biomask, etc. stuff.  Right there it just sits forever, and
never goes any further.  The hard drive doesn't flutter or anything.
It's not hung, though, because the keycap/numlock buttons turn the
lights on and off when I press them.

If I break into the kernel debugger at this point and do a trace,
here's what I get:

_Debugger...
_sgetc...
_pcrint...
_Xintr1...
_configure(f8185b13, be, be000, f8185b03, ad0000) at _configure+0x8
_cpu_startup(f81a7f04, 1dcfac, 1eb000, 1eb000, f8256000) at _cpu_startup+0x2a6
_main(f7bfff8c) at _main+0x3b

I built my kernel with these options: -O6 -m486 -pipe.  I don't know
what the other guy used for options, but his kernel behaves the same
way.  As I said, the GENERIC-BT kernel boots fine, and my old kernel
(from May 1) was booting fine on this hardware.

I have a 486DLC (in a 386 motherboard), 13MB of RAM, a bt747s SCSI
controller at the default address/IRQ, trying to boot off a Quantum
Q425s SCSI drive, I also have a Logitech bus mouse at IRQ 5, 2 serial
ports at the default com1/com2 addresses and IRQ's, a Mitsumi CDROM at
IRQ 2/9, an ATI VGA card, and an ATI 8514/Ultra (Mach8) card.  I don't
currently have my ethernet card in the machine.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what the heck is going on???  If you
want me to do anything in the debugger, I can repeat this at will.
All I have to do is try to boot one of my current kernels and break
into the debugger.

Just for kicks, here's my current config file.  I've tried enabling
and disabling various things, so some options commented/uncommented
here may have been different in one of my builds...

# original config file:
# GENERICAHBBT -- Generic machine w/ahb and bt drivers -- distribution floppy
#
# STINGRAY -- Config for Michael VanLoon's i386 box stingray.cc.iastate.edu
# MINDBENDER -- modified for change to MindBender.HeadCandy.com
#

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I386_CPU"		# Cyrix 486DLC obviates need for this
cpu		"I486_CPU"
cpu		"I586_CPU"
ident		MINDBENDER
timezone	6 dst
maxusers	64
#maxfdescs	1024

options 	DUMMY_NOPS, MACHINE_NONCONTIG, "COMPAT_09"
options		SWAPPAGER, VNODEPAGER, DEVPAGER
options		KTRACE, FIFO
options		SCSI, FFS
options		FDESC, KERNFS, PROCFS #, PORTAL, ISOFS
#options	NULLFS, "CD9660"
#options	QUOTA, LOFS, MFS, MSDOSFS
options		INET, NFSCLIENT, NFSSERVER, GATEWAY, MULTICAST
#options	HDLC, CCITT
#options	NS, ISO, TPIP, EON, CCITT
options		"COMPAT_43", "TCP_COMPAT_42", "COMPAT_NOMID", "USER_LDT"
options		XSERVER, UCONSOLE
options		FASTLINKS, LKM
options		COM_BIDIR		# is this needed?
#options	MATH_EMULATE		# Cyrix 387 obviates need for this

options		SYSVMSG			# System V message queues; see msg.h
options		SYSVSEM			# System V semaphores; see sem.h
options		SYSVSHM			# System V shared memory
options		SHMMAXPGS=1024

options		DDB
options		DIAGNOSTIC

options		PCVT_NSCREENS=8

config		netbsd	root on sd0 swap on sd0 and wd0

# Bus interface:
controller	isa0			# ISA/EISA

# Console drivers:
#device		pc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1
device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1

# SCSI controllers and devices:
controller	bt0	at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq 11
master		scsibus0 at bt0
drive		sd0	at scsibus0 slave ?
drive		sd1	at scsibus0 slave ?
drive		sd2	at scsibus0 slave ?
tape		st0	at scsibus0 slave ?
drive		cd0	at scsibus0 slave ?
#drive		ch0	at scsibus0 slave ?

# AT ST506 (IDE/MFM/RLL) hard drives:
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive ?
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive ?

#controller	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
#disk		wd2	at wdc1 drive ?
#disk		wd3	at wdc1 drive ?

# Floppy drives:
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive ?
#disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive ?

# Mitsumi CD-ROM:
#device		mcd0	at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 9

# Floppy controller tape support:
#device		wt0	at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 5 drq 1

# "standard" PeeCee com ports:
device		com0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4
device		com1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
#device		com2	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 9
#device		com3	at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

# BocaBoard quad-16550 with custom com driver:
#device		com4	at isa? port 0x100 tty irq 12
#device		com1	at isa? port 0x108 tty
#device		com2	at isa? port 0x110 tty
#device		com3	at isa? port 0x118 tty

# Logitech bus mouse:
device          lms0    at isa? port "IO_BMS1" tty irq 5

# Parallel ports:
device		lpt0	at isa? port "IO_LPT1" tty irq 7
device		lpt1	at isa? port "IO_LPT2" tty
#device		lpt2	at isa? port "IO_LPT3" tty

# Sound Blaster:
#device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 bio irq 7 drq 1

# Ethernet drivers:
device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
#device ep0 at isa? port ? irq ?

# Math coprocessor/emulation support:
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13

# Pseudo devices:
pseudo-device	ether	1	# ethernet device
pseudo-device	log		# system logger
pseudo-device	loop		# loopback device
pseudo-device	pty	64	# pseudo terminals
pseudo-device	sl	1	# slip device
pseudo-device	ppp	1	# ppp device
pseudo-device	speaker		# simple speaker driver
pseudo-device	bpfilter 4	# berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	vn	4	# v-nodes
#pseudo-device	audio		# audio device (Sound Blaster)

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.