Subject: Re: latest boot blocks don't like old root partitions
To: John Kohl <uunet!atria.com!jtk@uunet.uu.net>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1994 07:55:24
On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, Bill Squier wrote:

> In message <9407191415.AA13410@aggregate.com>, Mark P. Gooderum writes:
>
> >The biggest problem is I have random SEGV core dumps again.  I've only got
> >8M of RAM and it hits when compiling anything serious with X running.  The
> >cores have been from everything, make, sed, gcc, and ccp.  These behave like
> >the cores from the pmap problems way back when (March?April?).  Re-run things
> >and it works.
>
> This is the exact RAM size and symptoms that occur on my Amiga ('030) running
> NetBSD-current (Jul-17 sup).  However, I don't even need X running.
> Compiles run for what seems to be a random length of time, and then--
> spurious SIGSEGV.

I used to have the same problems on my 4MB '030 A2500.  It was occuring
consistently and quite randomly.  That was before I learned about the
little problem with mfs if you don't specify a max size.  Sounds to me
like you might be running out of swap space.  This is probably caused by
the fork-and-swap bug, where if a page is swapped out right after a fork,
it's never de-allocated until the parent process dies.

How much swap space do you have on that system?  How much is allocated to
mfs?  You might want to try disabling mfs for a while and see if that
alleviates the problem somewhat.  You might also try increasing swap
space if you can.  I'm runnning at 10-1 at the moment (40MB Swap-4MB RAM).

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I am cognizant of what I am doing." - Hammeroid