Subject: latest boot blocks don't like old root partitions
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: John Kohl <jtk@atria.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/1994 00:03:40
I finally got the machine I'm working on set up with the latest boot
blocks.

If you put up the new blocks and then boot and end up with a hung
machine after the twiddling ended with the "-" character, you most
likely don't have a 4.4BSD boot partition.  The bootblocks only
understand the new file system format, and wegde with other file system
formats.  To find out what you have, use the "dumpfs" command:
dumpfs /dev/wd0a |head
and it'll say on the second line either "4.2/4.3BSD" or "4.4BSD".  It
must be the latter.

If there's room in the boot code, perhaps it can check the difference
and spit out an error message...I'll give that a try with a floppy and
see if it works.

==John