Subject: Mysterious lossage fixed
To: None <>
From: Charles M. Hannum <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1994 23:53:10
If you've been experiencing what could best be termed as `mysterious
lossage' with recent kernels, you may have been bitten by a bug that I
tracked down earlier today to the epprobe() routine.

Basically, it was trying to write to a port in each EISA slot before
identifying the card, which is wrong, and which, on an ISA-only
machine, ended up wrapping around to one of the registers on the first
DMA controller.  This could likely cause a variety of problems; the
one I saw was a vm_fault() panic in tsleep() right after configuring

If you think you might have run into this, please try again, and sorry
for the inconvenience (though I'm not responsible for that code).