Subject: What's the right way to set the file flags?
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@panix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1994 02:04:14
See the subject line.  chmod won't do it (which makes sense, since chmod sets
the file _mode_), and I can't seem to find any other command that will.

I wrote my own, but it seems to me that there must be some CSRG-blessed
Official Way to do this, and since I can't find it in the 4.4-Lite source,
either, I assume I'm just not looking in the right place.

Would someone please let me in on how this is supposed to be done?

Incidentally, is the sticky bit going to be moved into the file flags where it
belongs, instead of staying in the file modes, where it doesn't, or would that
break too much existing code?  (I can't think of anything it would break, can
you?  I can't think of anything but chmod that touches the sticky bit anyway.)