Subject: Reverse DNS problems on Internet
To: None <>
From: Andrew Gillham <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1994 00:48:33
I know this isn't the place to ask this, but our News is down
(local problem) and I don't know where else to ask this..
(besides, my NetBSD machine's affected also..)

Does anyone know what's the deal with the reverse DNS
mapping?  Or who to e-mail/call about it?  My DNS
table shows this:
IN-ADDR 544910  IN      NS

But traceroute/ping says:

edmund:~> traceroute
traceroute to (, 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 (  11 ms  18 ms  2 ms
2 (  3 ms  3 ms  3 ms
3 (  469 ms  348 ms  173 ms
4 (  117 ms  38 ms  37 ms
5 (  36 ms !H  36 ms !H  36 ms !H

edmund:~> ping
ICMP Host Unreachable from gateway (
for icmp from ( to

Anyway, it looks like '' is the DNS master for which is kinda crucial for reverse mappings.. :-)
It seems to have been down at least since 6:00pm EST.

This isn't *that* big of a deal, but it is sure slowing down telnet
connections, ftp's to sites that require reverse maps, even Mosaic
seems fubar..  If anyone can tell me whats up, where to check on this,
who to call, or to shut up and mind my own business, any info would be

Thanks!  And again, I do apologize for posting here, I'm a little
desparate... :-(