Subject: Re: XFree exits.
To: Per A. Amundsen <per-am@hsr.no>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1994 16:33:09
"Per A. Amundsen" <per-am@hsr.no> writes:
> I have just upgraded to current with gcd's latest binaries and sys-sources
> supped on July 11.  Everythings seems to work, except that Xfree.2.0
> (xinit) immediately exits with:
> [...]
> The old trick of linking
> /dev/console to /dev/vga doesn't seem to work any more, neither does compilin
> a kernel with securitylevel = -1.

First of all, it's possible that binaries made for current in
February will no longer work, although I'm really not sure.

Second, you shouldn't link /dev/console to /dev/vga.  Instead,
modify your /etc/ttys so that the getty runs on vga instead of
console.  Here are the relevant lines:

console	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pc3	off secure
vga	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pc3	on secure

Also, make sure that the console and vga nodes are correct:

crw-------  1 root  tty    0,   0 Jul 18 16:01 /dev/console
crw-------  1 root  tty   12,   0 Jul 18 16:01 /dev/vga

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University