Subject: Re: Testing executables across all m68k ports
To: None <,>
From: Paul Kranenburg <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/1994 21:42:16
> I too have wondered:  would m68k4k executables work on an m68k8k arch?
> And the other way too?  What would break?  (maybe mmap code?)
Given the hardware demands on page size, you'll have trouble mapping most
4k executables on 8k hardware. The other way round should be fine.

> Theoretically, things that call pagesize() instead of hard-coding it
> should be able to run on machines with varying page sizes (like SunOS).
Historically (read: Sun's strategy) all sparc executables are based on 8k
page sizes, although most models have a 4k (hardware) page size. This is
still the case in the NetBSD sparc port, although we don't even have a
port for an 8k sun4.