Subject: The pppd blocking thing... softcar works.
To: None <>
From: Tim Chase <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1994 11:29:34

Regarding my recent comments that the pppd program ought to
open the port with a nonblocking open, I was pointed to the
softcar feature of /etc/ttys.  I had tried that in the past
and it didn't work, but I discovered that I had a typo in
the file.  I had been using a flag "crtscts" which appears
to really be "rtscts".  Following that flag, I had the "softcar".
It seems that flags following an error are ignored.

I fixed it and setting the softcar flag from /etc/ttys works
just fine and is obviously the proper solution to using pppd,
tip or whatever for outgoing calls (if the program in question
doesn't use a nonblocking open).

						- Tim