Subject: getting ld to issue link-time warnings
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1994 11:29:51
A while ago there was a comment that ld should issue a warning when
gets() is linked in instead of using a run-time warning. I think
setreuid() is that category too.

How do I get ld to do this? I would like to flag a few calls like this
(e.g, bcopy, bzero, index, rindex) that aren't really ANSI (or whatever)
standard, and hack the code to use the appropriate
memmove,memset,strchr,strrchr instead. It's easier to find stuff with
link time warnings in other situations. (I want to make the code more
portable to other systems)

PS: I think the man page for memcpy() induces Bad Karma by
recommending that people code with bcopy() instead, since it's not
compatible. bcopy() should be implemented with memmove, and memcpy
should probably be implemented as non-overlapping, so people get what
the ANSI standard asks for :)

--
``Concealment is never as hard as people think, you          Luke Mewburn
  must understand that. It's action while hiding that's    <lm@rmit.edu.au>