Subject: Re: Source code tarballs with binary snapshots
To: Ivan Vazquez <ivan@darwin.bu.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1994 23:16:03
> After having tried to build current from a 5/2 release (never again
> thank you)  I found that the binary snapshots are not so useful
> without having the source snapshot that corresponds.

The problem with that is that there _is_ no source snapshot that
any given binary snapshot corresponds to.

It's probably safe to grab the source tarball that happens on the
following saturday, but that's as close as you'll get.

It's impractical to hope that there must be some source snapshot
associated with every binary shnapshot.  Consider that there
are N architectures which occasionally do binary snapshots
and that each source snapshot takes 22M...  that's 22N Megabytes
of source, about 170M worth, given the number of architectures
for which snapshots of various types are made, 90%+ of which
will be completely identical...

Considering that the following weekend, a mostly-correct set of
source tarballs is made...

chris