Subject: Please educate me
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Kim Andersen <kim@dde.dk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/09/1994 22:52:38
I keep having problems in making a bootable floppy.
Even using the script Christos mailed earlier this week, this scripts also
has misc. errors as to working on -current.

According to a note from Chris disklabelling a floppy is unsupported, but
putting boot info onto floppy should work ok.

If I do this:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/Junk count=2880
vnconfig -c /dev/vnd0a  /tmp/Junk
disklabel -w -B  -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd /dev/vnd0a floppy

I get  this message:
    disklabel: ioctl DIOCSDINFO: Device not configured
But the last line of my kernel config reads:
pseudo-device   vn      4
and I have these devices:
    crw-r-----  1 root  operator   41,   0 Jul  9 18:06 /dev/rvnd0a
    brw-r-----  1 root  operator   14,   0 Jul  7 02:18 /dev/vnd0a
Next I do
vnconfig -u /dev/vnd0a  /tmp/Junk
and then
dd if=/tmp/Junk of=/dev/fd0a

Trying to boot with this floppy is a no-go, it seems as there is no boot
information.

Trying to do:
disklabel -w -B  -b /usr/mdec/fdboot -s /usr/mdec/bootfd /dev/fd0a floppy
just gives lines like:
fd0: read failed st0 40<abnrml> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0 head 0 sec 2
blkno 1 skip 0 cylin 0 status 40
fd0: seek failed st0 c1<invld,abnrml> cyl 0
fd0: read failed st0 40<abnrml> st1 1<no_am> st2 0 cyl 0 head 0 sec 2

My question is: How do I make a bootable floppy ?
(This procedure has worked earlier)

The system is updated with the tarballs made on 7/7.

Any help much appreciated.

regards
kim