Subject: Re: more info on fsck -c 2 crash/failure to clean up.
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1994 10:03:49
>    [...], it should be treates as "the same as" the fsck -p, just be
>    sure to reboot afterwards...
> `fsck -p' no longer requires a reboot after diddling the root file
> system.  This is 1994, not 1974.

Yeah, but the 1974 UNIX came up twice faster than the 1994 UNIX comes up once
:-).

(My own favorite scheme for this is to have a dedicated miniroot on the disk
that gets used when the main root needs checking.  While it suffers both from
the double-boot problem and from wasting 1-2MB of a disk, it has the
advantage of making it much easier to recover from a thoroughly curdled main
root partition.  Of course, choosing which root partition to use at boot
time is currently a bit difficult.)