Subject: Re: more info on fsck -c 2 crash/failure to clean up.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1994 01:03:30
> Hmmm...I've been thinking about this whole fsck -c 2 thing...The
> 'problem' partitions I've seen seem to be root filesystems, etc.  You're
> booting off of a floppy and doing this to an unmounted filesystem,
> right?  I'd think that doing this to / while it's mounted is a *REALLY*
> bad idea...

In a word:  "BZZT!"  8-)

I never even _tried_ it on my root file system...  You're a braver man
than me!  It failed on /usr and /var, and neither of them were, or had
been mounted.

if you do it from single-user w/o r/w mounting /, it should be
treates as "the same as" the fsck -p, just be sure to reboot
afterwards...  i.e. i don't think the root-partition-ness or
mounted-ness has anything to do with it.

cgd