Subject: Re: aperture driver for XFree86
To: None <Matthieu.Herrb@laas.fr>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@ksr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1994 10:10:46
> Also I'd like to hear about the principle of such a module from the
> core team. Since it partially defeats the kernel security are there
> other ways to get the frambuffers mapped in memory ?

I haven't looked over your module, so I don't know if it contains any mistakes,
but this shouldn't be "defeating kernel security": it should map a framebuffer,
in which the kernel better not be storing any sensitive information (:-),
without making available the entirety of /dev/mem.  This is exactly what one
wants (after all, you could implement getpid() using /dev/mem ;-).