Subject: Re: timeout on AHA-1542C
To: Yeng-Chee Su <yenchee@zeus.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/19/1994 19:48:53
>  I've met a problem concerning about Adaptec 1542C with Exabyte 8200.
>When I use dd to extract data from tape, it responses SCSI timeout and
>cause vm panic, then hang there.  Only a cold boot can reboot the machine.
>It doesn't happen on another 1542B with the same tape drive.  The kernel
>is built from yesterday's source.  The machine is a 486DX2-66 with 16Mb
>DRAM.  There are Maxtor 7345S, Fujitsu M2694E, NEC CDR-210 and Exb-8200
>on the same SCSI bus.  All these devices are SCSI1 detected by the
>kernel.

Is this using a ``fixed'' rev C card?  In other words, does it have a little
capacitor soldered near the external SCSI connector?  I had similar problems
until I had mine replaced.

If it is fixed, do you have all the termination set up right?  The C seems
to be very picky about termination.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff                 <explorer@vorpal.com>
1304 Florida #3               (515) 296-2735