Subject: Can't build kernel (me again!)
To: current <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: D. Jay Newman <jay@qabalah.cac.psu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/1994 18:42:11
Hi:

This has not been my day.  I am trying to build a new system, and it
started when I accidentally installed the new ld & friends before
I built a system.  Everything dynamic started crashing.

Fine, I went back to the latest binary snapshot that I've seen, which
is May 2nd.  I recovered all the utilities, but my kernel is June 7th,
because the generic kernels don't work on my machine.

I can't build a new kernel, and for the same reason I couldn't build it
this morning.  I get many lines of errors like the following:

making sure the kern library is up to date...
rm -f machine &&  ln -s /usr/src/sys/lib/libkern/../../arch/i386/include machine
rm -f i386 &&  ln -s /usr/src/sys/lib/libkern/../../arch/i386/include i386
sh ../../../../conf/newvers.sh
cc  -O6 -I. -I../../../../arch -I../../../.. -I../../../../sys -DALL -DI486_CPU -DI386_CPU -DCOMPAT_09 -DTCP_COMPAT_42 -DCOMPAT_43 -DCOMPAT_NOMID -DUSER_LDT -DTPIP -DISO -DNS -DINET -DKERNFS -DFDESC -DNFSCLIENT -DNFSSERVER -DMFS -DFFS -DQUOTA -DSCSI -DSYSVSHM -DSYSVSEM -DSYSVMSG -DFIFO -DKTRACE -DDEVPAGER -DVNODEPAGER -DSWAPPAGER -DMACHINE_NONCONTIG -DUCONSOL -DXSERVER -DKERNEL -Di386 -c vers.c
rm -f netbsd
ld -x -z -T F8100000 -o netbsd -e start ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
vn.o: Undefined symbol _bzero referenced from text segment
exec_script.o: Undefined symbol _strncmp referenced from text segment
exec_script.o: Undefined symbol _strcpy referenced from text segment
exec_script.o: Undefined symbol _strcpy referenced from text segment
init_main.o: Undefined symbol ___main referenced from text segment
kern_descrip.o: Undefined symbol _bzero referenced from text segment
kern_descrip.o: Undefined symbol _bzero referenced from text segment
kern_descrip.o: Undefined symbol _bzero referenced from text segment

   ... Much deleted because you see the trend ...

size: netbsd: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I don't know what is causing things to act up like that now.  Anybody
know?

At least I've got my system in a semi-working state, so it isn't totally
critical.
--
D. Jay Newman           ! I'm now on the World Wide Web.  To see more
dn5@psu.edu             ! about me (and trade MtG cards), check out URL