Subject: NetBSD-current and BusLogic problem
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 06/14/1994 19:38:22
Hi,

we would be very thankful for any hint about this problem:

Elitegroup EISA 486DX2-66, SIS chipset, 16Mb
BusLogic 747S (BIOS 4.70, Firmware 3.37)
IBM Spitfire F-SCSI2 1Gb disk

Booting NetBSD-current June 06 (boot blocks 1.18) says:

<normal probing...>
bt0 at isa0 port 0x330-0x333 irq 11: version 3.3, async, parity,
 32 mbxsbt0 targ0: sync, offset 15, period 200 nsec
scsibus0 at bt0

The above seems ok, I guess. But then the disk:

bt0 targ0 lun0: <IBM OEM 0662S12  1011> SCSI2 direct fixed
No matching config entry.

After that it panics with "panic: cannot mount root".

If we try a May 03 kernel (netbsd-bt from a snapshot on iastate.edu
I think), it succeeds in getting the disk geometry. Instead of the
"No matching..." above, we get:

sd0 at scsibus0: 1003Mb, 4119 cyl, 5 head, 99 sec, 512 bytes/sec

but later:

changing root device to sd0a

and it hangs, no panic.

We can boot NetBSD-0.9 from floppy, but the system is very
"flaky". After a short while we usually get something like:
(It seems like reading succeeds more often than writing.)

bt0: device timed out
bt0 not taking commands

The SCSI termination is ok and we have tried different cables, and all
sorts of combinations of both BIOS and EISA config setup.

Again, thanks for any hint. If you need more information, just say so.

	-- Urban & Jan

P.S. We have had a hard time convincing our department that PCs are
good as workstations, so I hope we get this going... ;-)

--
cryptographic AK-47 cracking explosion FBI Ortega DES Ft. Bragg Rule
Psix Clinton kibo Delta Force domestic disruption CIA BATF