Subject: Re: Help with picking out a system
To: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@autodesk.com>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1994 11:13:09
>#define AUTHOR "rls@zeus.id.net ("Robert L. Shady")"

>/*
> *
> * Okay, we are looking for the 'ideal' system to run NetBSD/FreeBSD on.  We n
eed
> * to support as many users as possible per machine, and still keep a decent
> * performance ratio.  Here is some more information:
> *
> * 3) Should we setup one "SERVER" that has all of the hard drive space, and
> *    then mount it on each "DIALUP" machine?  This provides us an easy way
> *    to allow users transparent access to their mail, etc.

>There is one inherent problem with this:  mail.  Mail uses file locking,
>and network file locking is, as anyone familiar with NFS will tell you,
>about as close to useless as you can achieve without actually being there.
>Entire mailboxes have been lost because of NFS file locking.

An excellent solution to this is to run MH and use POP (Post Office
Protocol).  Where the client machine gets mail to the local machine
via a connection to the "post office" server.  I use MH just because
it's so excellent (even without POP on my local machine).  But this is
a very good argument for MH with POP.

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.