Subject: Re: Source tree/kernel agony.
To: None <owner-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, JOHN@gab.unt.edu,>
From: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@autodesk.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1994 10:04:13
#define AUTHOR "mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu (mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu)"

/*
 *
 * There are two things to say about this:
 *
 * 1) Had you installed a kernel first, *before* updating include files
 * and/or libraries, you wouldn't have such problems.

No, I'm not the person to whom you are responding *but*...

I'm running on a SPARC, and the very first thing I did was to try and
rebuild the kernel.  This failed miserably with problems generated by
ld (some internal symbols were generated with which the linker had no idea
of what to do -- I don't have them handy).  I figured my libs and/or
includes were out of date.  So I attempted to rebuild them.  This failed
miserably.

 *
 * 2) It was made quite clear that there was very temporary compatibility
 * code in the tree around the beginning of May, and that people needed
 * update at certain points (or wait till the whole thing blew over) to
 * avoid getting screwed.  You apparently didn't pay attention.

The binary snapshot of 13 May was pretty stable, but I needed to rebuild
the kernel to do debugging of the ttya port hang problem as well as some
other work.  Unfortunately, the recent sources and the 94051.3 binaries
don't seem to be compatible (see above).

Has anyone done any work on a SPARC-specific st driver yet?  I'm about
to embark on same as I'm keeping StunOS around only for its capabilities
of tape reading.  If anyone else has started work on this could you send
me files and/or patches to existing files?  I'm interested on how someone
else might approach it.

 *
 */
/*** end two cents worth from mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu ****/

--
Make a hacker happy.  Use a *real* OS.

 ________ _____ ____  ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (my nameplate even says so)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin
\ \| |   < _| ` ' \ '` / \/ /|_| _/ WHERE: Autodesk, Inc.  3 Harbor Dr.
 \___|_|\_\__\|_|  \/\/ \__/___/_|  Sausalito, CA 94965 (415) 332-2344 x4219
Assumption #1:  Assuming that "God" exists, he/she/it is fallable.