Subject: Re: Help with picking out a system
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jeff Kreska <jkreska@hpmail2.fwrdc.rtsg.mot.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1994 10:35:43
On Mon June 6, 1994 Rich Murphey wrote:

 > :From: kim@dde.dk (Kim Andersen)
 > :>   1-3 Micropolis 2.4GB Hard Drives
 > :Maybe the Barracuda will do better, at least it spins at 7200RPM.
 > :Also IBM has some nice disks in the 2GB range.
 >
 > Has anyone benchmarked the read/write performance of the Barracuda?
 > Rich

Rich,
	I have a Barracuda ST12550.  I have a BT445 VLB controller.  I
benchmarked the drive under DOS using two programs.  The first one I used was
from Core Technologies core v2.92, and the second was Checkit ver 3.0.

Core	6.5meg/s
Checkit	1.2meg/s

I have been told that checkit reports a more resanoable transfer rate than
other benchmark programs.

If you have some benchmark program that runs under NetBSD I would be glad to
bench it and let you know how well it performs.

---
Thanks
Jeff

|Jeff Kreska                                                    |
|Motorola, Inc.                Phone:              817-232-6019 |
|5555 North Beach Street       Fax:                817-232-6580 |
|Fort Worth, Texas  76137-2794                                  |