Subject: Help with picking out a system
To: Robert L. Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 06/07/1994 08:52:34
You wrote (in your message from Mon  6)

 > Server
 > ======
 > 486DX/40 w/1MB cache VLB motherboard
 >   16MB RAM (4 pieces of 4x9 60ns RAM)
If you're going to act as an NFS server, more memory will improve
performance a lot.

 >   Buslogic 445S VLB SCSI controller
 >   1-3 Micropolis 2.4GB Hard Drives
 >   1-5 CD-Rom drives
 >   WangDAT 4GB tape backup
Try to have more than 1 SCSI controller.

 >   Monochrome Monitor & Video Card
 >   X-Server running on this machine
If you could avoid that. X will compete with NFS for RAM allocation
and both will suffer from this...

 > Dialups (May be several of these machines)
 > 486DX2/66 w/1MB cache VLB motherboard
 >   32MB RAM (8 pieces of 4x9 60ns RAM)
I don't tell what applications your users will run on the dialups
machines, but I think that 16M RAM would be enough. {Free,Net}BSD
don't need as much memory as Solaris.

In conclusion I'd suggest that you pick up 16M on each dialup machine
and put them back in the server.

					Matthieu