Subject: Re: Help with picking out a system
To: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@panix.com>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@vorpal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1994 22:03:18
>Sun does this by hacking sendmail.  If Sun's sendmail detects that the
>mail spool is on a NFS mounted system it redirects the mail to the NFS
>server instead of doing any local processing.  Not being much of a
>sendmail hacker I don't know if this is a standard sendmail feature (I
>think not) or something Sun added.  Sun doesn't document it.

Another way of doing this is to use ``mh'' or something like it, where mail
is stored on a central server and fetched when the user logs in.  That way,
no need to worry about NFS locking much at all.

That's what I fo here -- all hosts run a local sendmail, but all unqualified
mail (no @host) goes to a central server, which is known as packrat.vorpal.com
or vorpal.com.  All off-site mail is tagged with the @vorpal.com address as
well, unless someone tweaks the sendmail process.

--Michael

--
Michael Graff                 <explorer@vorpal.com>
1304 Florida #3               (515) 296-2735