Subject: Re: Source tree/kernel agony.
To: None <bachesta@angst.tera.com>
From: John Booth <JOHN@gab.unt.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1994 11:55:34
> I've been trying to get current since the May 13 tar-balls and I have
> seen a similar behaviour as John. This past week I tried aggresively to
> get up to date but I can't figure out how to get past the "dead-lock" of
> "genassym", which prevents me from building a kernel and installing

Well, it looks like I finally got everything to work.  I rec'd some
mail from someone that was very helpful and for anyone else out there
here's what I finally did.  I had the May 31st sources direct from
sun-lamp--at some time the ones on ftp.iastate.edu weren't updated
although they were supposed to (May31st and May13th tar_balls mixed)
(I did a make clean in just about every directory to kill old object
files, etc.)

1. untar all original may 2nd binaries (thus overwriting any 'newer'
   compiler mess-ups on my part).

2. delete old source and untar the new sources (saving any you
   want/need to.)

3. make the new config program (from the new sources).

4. make the new kernel/install and then shutdown -r.
   (there are new kernel calls that much of the source rely upon)

   If the above doesn't compile then you probably need to
   cd /usr/src/include; make && make install--I either did this
   before 4 or after step 6.

5. you may need to setenv LDSTATIC -static and setenv NOPIC--I don't
   think this is needed though.

6. make all the libraries and install (otherwise as/ld/gcc won't
   link).
    /usr/src/lib/libc
    /usr/src/gnu/libmalloc
    /usr/src/lib
    /usr/gnu/lib

7.  make and install gas/ld/gcc
    /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas
    /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld
    /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2

8.  Make /usr/src and install.

    When making this I had to remove the directory
    /usr/src/bootp/bootp--the file that was being compiled was
    named bootp and was barfing in linking.

Hope this helps anyone that had the same problems I did.

|John A. Booth                   osmesne seurrunged mi keyo!!! |
|(It'll look prettier as I edit it later)                      |