Subject: Re: change to bsd.lib.mk makefile; ethernet driver for Zenith laptop
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, louie@TransSys.COM>
From: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/01/1994 14:25:50
   I've got a driver for the Zenith Z-Note built-in ethernet interface.
   [...]  Who should I send it to so that it might be integrated into
   the source tree?

You should send it to me.

   Here's a change that I've made locally, which has worked out pretty
   well me.  Simply, I changed the ranlib -t in the realinstall: target
   to instead perform a touch -r objfile installedfile.  This has the
   effect such that you can re-install an unchanged library [...]

This is, unfortunately, a misguided change.  It's entirely possible that
programs were rebuilt using the old libraries *after* the libraries in
the source tree were rebuilt.  In this case, your change would cause
those programs to not be relinked.