Subject: Re: SCSI questions
To: Mark P. Gooderum <uunet!aggregate.com!mark@uunet.UU.NET>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/17/1994 10:49:54
I decided to upgrade from late March sources to current. A bit of a
fight, especially in the middle of kvm changes, but I managed to get
there.

A couple of comments/ideas:
- some SVR4 (notably solaris 2.x) have /var/mail (or whatever) with
  perms like:
	drwxrwxr-x   3 root     mail         2048 May 17 10:39 /var/mail
  The mail.local (or whatever) is setgid mail instead of setuid root.
  Other mail delivery agents (such as elm's filter) are the same.
  As a recent problem with our favourite insecure os that is Not
  NetBSD (SunOS4 :) shows, maybe it would be a good idea to do this
  incase there are holes in the delivery agent, and anyway, it fits
  in with the concept of "don't make it suid root, make it sgid
  own_group".  Would this be a Good Thing to do?

- I have a 8MB root partition. As things are going with current, I can
  keep 2 kernels in / before I run out of space. As a space saving
  measure, would there be a problem in integrating all the mount_*fs
  commands which contain the same code with three lines changed
  (the 2 printf error messages & the mount(MOUNT_xxxFS) line) as one
  command. Then the program could check argv[0] and do a simple
  switch. Sure, it would only save about 150K, but that's 150K that
  /bin/sh now takes up because it has been attacked with rampant
  featuritus.

- Another thing. Whilst building the tree, I noticed that links are
  fast, but compiles aren't. E.g, a command which has 2 .o files
  would link like:
	cc -o blah foo.o blah.o
  but a program with 1 .c file would compile/link like:
	cc -o blah -O ... blah.c
  Maybe if the above was changed to:
	cc -c -O ... blah.c
	cc -o blah blah.o
  So that when I do a make from the top level, all those commands in
  usr.bin are just relinked :)

Enough crap, now let the threads begin...

PS: has anyone noticed that gnu's groff, rcs, gcc, and uucp alone probably
take more time to compile that the rest of the tree. I don't recompile
groff or uucp anymore because of it :)

--
``Concealment is never as hard as people think, you          Luke Mewburn
  must understand that. It's action while hiding that's    <lm@rmit.edu.au>