Subject: Re: fsck clears non-empty files
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1994 21:22:02
On May 7,  9:02pm, "Chris G. Demetriou" wrote:

[I wrote:]
>> When fsck does the filesystem check (either on boot or when run
>> manually), and a non-empty file is not in a directory, fsck does
>> not put it in lost+found, but rather clears it.  This is contrary
>> to both the documentation and what I have experienced on other
>> systems.  Is it really supposed to work this way?
>
>how old and large are the files?  if they're recently-created,
>relatively small files, it could very well be that their data just
>never hit the disk...
>
>at various times in the past, i've had to clri various directories
>inodes (dont' ask) and fsck always worked as i'd have expected it to
>(i.e. it deposited things in lost and found).

Generally, they are between 1K and 3K, but once, there was one that
was about 33k.  Then there was the time that had a bunch of files
of various vintage go away.  I would have liked to have checked them
before they disappeared.

I think I'll try an experiment.  If I make a copy of a file, do a
clri on the copy, then reboot, the ensuing fsck should put it in
lost+found, right?

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com
What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel.