Subject: Re: fsck clears non-empty files
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/07/1994 21:02:26
> When fsck does the filesystem check (either on boot or when run
> manually), and a non-empty file is not in a directory, fsck does
> not put it in lost+found, but rather clears it.  This is contrary
> to both the documentation and what I have experienced on other
> systems.  Is it really supposed to work this way?

how old and large are the files?  if they're recently-created,
relatively small files, it could very well be that their data just
never hit the disk...

at various times in the past, i've had to clri various directories
inodes (dont' ask) and fsck always worked as i'd have expected it to
(i.e. it deposited things in lost and found).

cgd