Subject: Re: Do we have an all clear for SMC Ethernet Cards
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@andrews.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1994 19:19:19

> I explained at the time what was happening; specifically, the el and wt
> probe routines reprogrammed the cards.  People with custom kernels or
> SMC cards at addresses other than 0x300 never saw the problem in the
> first place.

My kernel looks like the following config, but it locks up right
after the 'starting network' in the rc.  The ed0 probe seems fine
though.  Is this even related?

> I've `fixed' this for now by simply removing the el0 and wt0 devices
> from the GENERIC configs.  Clearly this needs to be addressed better,
> but it certainly cures the symptom for now.

And I haven't ever had these in my kernels....

> I've also worked with a few people to bring their cards back to life.
>
> It almost seems like your message was intended to scare people.  I hope
> this is not the case.

Here's my kernel config....

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I486_CPU"
ident           GHOST
timezone        5 dst
maxusers        32
maxfdescs       2048
options         SWAPPAGER,VNODEPAGER,DEVPAGER
options         FFS
options         INET,NFSSERVER,NFSCLIENT,ISOFS,KERNFS
options         "COMPAT_43"
options         "COMPAT_09"
options         "TCP_COMPAT_42"
options         UCONSOLE, XSERVER
options         SCSI
options         "COMPAT_NOMID"
options         "MACHINE_NONCONTIG"

config          netbsd  root on sd0 swap on sd0

controller      isa0

device          pc0     at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
device          com0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector comintr
device          com1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector comintr

controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector
fdintr
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive ?
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive ?

controller      ahb0    at isa? bio irq 11 vector ahbintr
master          scsibus0 at ahb0
disk            sd0     at scsibus0 slave 000
disk            sd1     at scsibus0 slave 010
disk            sd2     at scsibus0 slave 020
disk            sd3     at scsibus0 slave 040
tape            st0     at scsibus0 slave 030
tape            st1     at scsibus0 slave 050
disk            cd0     t scsibus0 slave 060
disk            sd4     at scsibus0 slave ?
disk            sd5     at scsibus0 slave ?
tape            st2     at scsibus0 slave ?
disk            cd1     at scsibus0 slave ?

device          ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 9 iomem 0xd0000 vector
edintr

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

pseudo-device   loop
pseudo-device   ether
pseudo-device   log
pseudo-device   pty     32