Subject: Kermit and RTS/CTS flow control
To: None <,>
From: Mike Long <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/1994 01:24:08
I just discovered the reason why I couldn't upload files from NetBSD
with C-Kermit 5A(190).  It turns out that Kermit was lying to me when
it claimed it was using RTS/CTS flow control, and I was overrunning
the link.  In order to confirm the lie:

start up Kermit
SET LINE to your modem device (e.g. /dev/tty00)
check the status of your modem device (e.g. stty -af /dev/tty00)
see the -crtscts in the listing, and say AAAAAAAAAAARRGHHHHHH!!!

(Scott, does this problem exist under FreeBSD as well?  Let me know.)

In order to get RTS/CTS flow control to work, you must compile Kermit
with (NetBSD example):

Versions of C-Kermit 5A(190) dated after April 10 (ALPHA.02) have all
of the patches I sent out earlier on these lists incorporated (UUCP
lockfiles, &c.).  I plan to try to get a patch for this problem
incorporated as well.

The only other changes I find necessary to get Kermit to compile on my
NetBSD system these days are to change the setuid() and setgid() calls
in ckutio.c to seteuid() and setegid(), respectively.
Mike Long
VLSI Design Engineer
Analog Devices, SPD Division
Norwood, MA 02062 USA                assert(*this!=opinionof(Analog));