Subject: Re: Do we have an all clear for SMC Ethernet Cards
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
From: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/1994 19:05:50
I explained at the time what was happening; specifically, the el and wt
probe routines reprogrammed the cards.  People with custom kernels or
SMC cards at addresses other than 0x300 never saw the problem in the
first place.

I've `fixed' this for now by simply removing the el0 and wt0 devices
from the GENERIC configs.  Clearly this needs to be addressed better,
but it certainly cures the symptom for now.

I've also worked with a few people to bring their cards back to life.

It almost seems like your message was intended to scare people.  I hope
this is not the case.