Subject: Re: Broken make?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.berkeley.edu>
From: Havard Eidnes <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/1994 13:02:38
> >   The source tree was updated as of 3:30am this morn (4/30/94). I used
> > this "current" to regen my make, and the orginal 0.9 make and the one that
> > was in the src tree at ftp.iastate.edu.  All have this problem.
>
> 'make' does and has worked for 'a while' (i.e. it's not been changed
> in a couple of weeks, at least).  It sounds like you're compiling new
> versions wirht inconsistent libraries and includes, or *something*,
> but 'make' *definitely* works.

If I understand him correctly, what he's trying to do is to compile his way
from plain old vanilla 0.9 up to "current".

Also, if my memory serves me right this has now been said to be difficult
or impossible, since too many changes have ocurred since 0.9 and there are
too many inter-dependencies between the libraries, the kernel, the include
files and the tools.  The only option is to use one of the binary kernels
on sun-lamp (or elsewhere) and start from a binary snapshot before trying
to remake the current sources.

Right?

- Havard