Subject: Re: changed files: 'src/sys/arch/i386/i386 mem.c'
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/1994 08:52:17
You wrote (in your message from Wed 27)

 > Perhaps that `fixes' the problem for you, but it's completely wrong.
 > The problem is that the X server is opening and closing /dev/mem, and
 > thus losing its I/O permissions, while still expecting to have them
 > because of the CONSOLE_X_MODE ioctl on /dev/vga.  Sigh.
 >
 > The only thing I can really do about this is add a reference count for
 > the stupid IOPL hack.

I one of you could explain me a little more about this stuff, I can
try to make a fix in XFree86. I think it's too late for the official
2.1.1 release, but I can integrate it in my binary distribution and
provide an unofficial source patch.

In the same area, I'd like to replace the use of "setruid" in the
Xserver.

I don't know yet if all this new stuff would allow to remove the
setuid bit of the server.

					Matthieu