Subject: Re: Instructions to go from 0.9 to current (fwd)
To: Mike Long <Mike.Long@analog.com>
From: Stan Uno <CNETSTU@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/1994 18:12:25
Mike:
I obtained this from my partner who subscribes to current-users, to
which I've just subscribed...

I'm trying to upgrade to NetBSD-current using the archive at
ftp.iastate.edu trying to use your kind crib sheet, and have gotten
something totally messed up...

I'm trying to upgrade from NetBSD-0.9 to NetBSD-current on a 486 PC
machine running 0.9.

To start with, I ftp'd the pub/netbsd/NetBSD-current/src/tar_files
(I recall) gunzipped tar files down, and then applied them to my
/usr/src tree.  Then I attempted to follow your recipe and ran into
some problems...

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 94 10:16:38 EST
> From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
> To: ziff@eecs.umich.edu
> cc: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Instructions to go from 0.9 to current
>
> This is an old post I've saved on the subject.  I've made some
> additions to account for all that's happened in the past three months.
> This information should definitely be added to the 386BSD FAQ, so
> people who've upgraded from 0.9 recently please comment.
>
> >Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1993 09:57:06 -0500
> >From: Charles Hannum <mycroft@duality.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
> >To: storm@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> >CC: current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
> >
> >To ammend the original suggestion:
>
>  cd /usr/src/usr.bin/make; make && make install
>  cd /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort; make && make install
The above went quietly and seemed to work...

>  cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
The make complained about MACHINE_ARCH needing to be defined.  I
merrily set it without much though to "i386" and continued on...

> (you may want to 'make clean' after each of these in order to have
>  them be recompiled with -current's gcc later.)
> >cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install
> >cd /usr/src/include; make && make install
> >   setenv LDSTATIC -static
> >   setenv NOPIC
>     setenv NOPROFILE
> (keeps profiled libs from being built until later; saves time.)
> >cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make && make install
> >cd /usr/src/gnu/lib/libmalloc; make && make install
> >   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install
> (skip the line above, as gas has already been rebuilt.)
I did all the above, skipping the rebuild of gas...

> >   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install
> ># You'll probably get some barfage from the above because ld.so won't
> ># build yet.  Ignore it and install ld anyway.
> (the previous lines no longer apply.  ld.so isn't built if NOPIC is
>  set.)
This blew up trying to build ldconfig...

I fearlessly continued onward after installing ld...

> >   cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc; make && make install
I couldn't find /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc -- there was a gcc2
subdirectory which I used instead, and at that point, discovered that
every make failed during an:

	ld -x -r (OBJECT FILE NAME)

with a "***Signal 12".  Further investigation revealed that the ld was
failing with "Bad system call (core dumped)".  gdb revealed:

    #0  0x14210 in __syscall (Error reading memory address 0xfdbfdbc0: Operation not permitted (1).

It appeared that the new ld was toasted???

Was something I did really obviously wrong?  Is there some guide to how
to upgrade to NetBSD-current that I've totally missed somewhere?

Sorry if this is copied to the wrong group (let me know if so!), and if
this has been asked ten zillion times (I'm missing something about how
to configure NetBSD-current!)...

Thanks for your patience and help in this matter,
	Stan Uno
	uno@surfit.cns.ucla.edu