Subject: Re: Another crash, current-940425
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/1994 08:58:43
I don't have the DIAGNOSTIC option on, so I guess that might explain
why I'm not crashing immediately.  Now I've disabled DDB as well,
since I spend my days 10 miles away from console, and need my machine.
At least I wrote a program to automatically call and activate SLIP on
boot.

> You actually got it to run at all?  Every kernel I've built since the
> weekend drops into the kernel debugger seconds after starting the
> first fsck.  I'm still running Sunday's kernel.
>
> Monday and today's kernel do this to me right after autoconfig, right
> as it's beginning to fsck:
>
> 	vm_fault(f83d2a00, 0, 1, 0) -> 1
> 	kernel: page fault trap, code=0
> 	Stopped at    _uiomove+0x13:  cmpl $0x1,0x18(%edi)
>
> 	in syscall 5
>
> The edi register contains 0 (is NULL).  It appears edi is the uio
> pointer, so it's resolving a NULL reference:
>
> #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC
>         if (uio->uio_rw != UIO_READ && uio->uio_rw != UIO_WRITE)
>                 panic("uiomove: mode");
>
> I suppose if I removed DIAGNOSTIC from my kernel config it might run,
> but I'd rather know when things aren't working right inside.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science