Subject: Kernel panic under current-940418
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <Mark_Weaver@brown.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/1994 15:58:30
Yeah, I know it's old; in fact it panicked while I was trying to build
today's -current.  I figured I'd post this anyway.

panic: soclose: NOFDREF
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x4:  leave
db> trace
_Debugger(f7bffe15,5,0,f7bfff08,f7bffdfc) at _Debugger+0x4
_panic(f811b89f,29,f7bfff8c,f8419700,0) at _panic+0x54
_soclose(f8417000) at _soclose+0xe4
_pipe(f8419700,f7bfff94,f7bfff8c,0,ffffffff) at _pipe+0x121
_syscall() at _syscall+0x12b
--- syscall (number 42) ---
0xf084:
db>

I was doing a "cd /usr/src; nohup make -k obj >& log" and "less log"
using "F" in less (which is like "tail -f") from a telnet session over
my SLIP connection.

It seems like -current has become much less stable in the last couple
weeks.  I can remember it staying up for weeks at a time, and now it
usually crashes at least once a day.

Of course, it started crashing roughly around the time I moved my root
partition and half of my swap space from SCSI to IDE and moved /tmp
from FFS to MFS, so perhaps the problem lies there instead.  I'm still
using pccons, so pcvt's not the culprit.

	Mark
Email: Mark_Weaver@brown.edu           | Brown University
PGP Key: finger mhw@cs.brown.edu       | Dept of Computer Science