Subject: generic kernels and WD80x3 cards
To: Martin Husemann <martin@euterpe.owl.de>
From: Noses <noses@oink.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 04/22/1994 09:54:58
> > I've had a similar problem here...  i'm not so sure that the 'is'
> > driver should be in the GENERIC kernels, as is...
>
> I removed the SMC card in the meantime (it won't work even with hardwired
> setup anymore) and still get this:
>
> NetBSD 0.9a (GENERICAHA) #9: Sat Apr 16 23:13:55 PDT 1994
>   cgd@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERICAHA
[...]
> ie0: unknown AT&T board type code 0
> ie0: can't map 3C507 RAM in high memory
[...]
> I hope the ie driver doesn't fidle with my hardware to do some *bad
> things* (TM), I already lost my ethernet controller...

Now I'm wondering if I'm paranoid. I had an WD8013EPC in my machine and
since I booted a generic kernel it's dead (the Ethernet card, not the kernel
8-) ) (meaning neither NetBSD nor packet drivers are recognizing it and ODI
is comlaining about not getting interrupts from this board anymore. Just a
coincidence? Seems that the generic kernels are eating hardware for
breakfast...

Achim