Subject: Sun i386?
To: None <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@jericho.mc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/1994 21:29:12
> From: bdc@ai.mit.edu (Brian D. Carlstrom)
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 12:19:03 EDT
>
> has anyone looked at using the sunos compatibility to run sun binaries
> on NetBSD/i386. it seems like it would be a logic extension, not that i
> see that much demand.

> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@cs.orst.edu>
> Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 12:33:20 PDT
> Sender: owner-current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu
>
> I have often thought about the possibility of doing a _REAL_ port to the
> 386i.  From what I can tell, it would involve doing mostly some bus
> stuff.  Not to mention, we have a few laying around turned off...
>
> Later...

I would be interested working on a port to the Sun386i, though it
would be a while before I could put time into it.  Let me know if
you decide to get started on it.

It would be more interesting if the machine wasn't such a dog.
I wonder, could one repace the CPU with a 386-40/DX2 (one of
those clock doubler chips)?  Hmmm...

Gordon Ross