Subject: Re: upgrading to current from 0.9
To: Robert L. Shady <rls@zeus.id.net>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- Iowa State University <michaelv@iastate.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1994 16:48:17

Robert L. Shady writes:
>The following steps will get you in the right direction, but perhaps
>the easiest way to do it would be to grab the binary distribution of
>4-16-94 off of sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu and install it manually into
>your machine, then upgrade to current from there.

Remember that sun-lamp is a very busy machine and sometimes very
difficult to get into.  You should make people aware that there is an
official mirror on ftp.iastate.edu.

Installing current binaries before installing and building current
source is probably the *only* way to upgrade these days.  There have
just been so many changes I'm not sure it's even possible to upgrade
from source only anymore.  Besides, going the binary upgrade route is
*much* easier (no messy incantations and sacrifices).

I would suggest getting the binary snapshot from ftp.iastate.edu (or
sun-lamp).  On iastate, it's in /pub/netbsd/NetBSD-current/binary/...
Then, copy a new kernel into place from the binary set, extract the
new binaries over the old (best done from single-user mode), reboot.
Then you can extract and build the sources without all the funny
steps.

				--Michael

 Michael L. VanLoon                 Iowa State University Computation Center
    michaelv@iastate.edu                    Project Vincent Systems Staff
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free Un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.