Subject: Re: super block mod
To: None <jfw@ksr.com, dgy@mcs.com>
From: Martin Butterworth <mb@marx.micromuse.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/1994 18:49:19

> >    Given the proliferation of removable storage media (actually,
> > it's really been around since the 'washing machines'), shouldn't
> > the superblock include a member fs_fshost[MAXHOSTNAMELEN]?
>
> Uh, why???  I've been using file systems on removable media for about
> 15 years, from RK05 packs to floppies to entire SCSI drives, and not once
> have I ever cared what the name of the system that formatted a partition
> was.

If you can't read the sticky label on the media and you must identify the
media ( eg. its in a big jukebox/autochanger ) why don't you use the
disk label itself to hold the info there's room to hold a token string
in addition to the disk-name and parameters if that's what your problem
really is...

Martin