Subject: Re: your mail
To: None <>
From: Ty Sarna <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/17/1994 07:39:21
In article <> writes:
>    [...], if I telnet into my machine via term it shows my machine's
>    name as just an IP number, [...]
> This was a design decision in the new telnetd.  If the host name is longer
> than ut_host, the IP address is used instead.

Unfortunately ut_host is way too small for even quite short FQDNs.
rlogind seems to do a check to see if the remote machine is in the same
domain, and if so it only uses the host part of the name.  I think this
would be good check to add first, before checking to see if the name is
too long and resorting to an IP address.  Personally I'd rather see
same-domain remote logins noted from "foo" rather than "",
even if is short enough to fit without truncation.
Would this be a reasonable compromise?

Ty Sarna                 "As you know, Joel, children have always looked        up to cowboys as role models. And vice versa."