Subject: Re: default built kernels and com4
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Greg Cronau <gregc@edi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/1994 09:13:57
Chris G. Demetriou

>the generic kernels should support as much hardware as possible, and
>good reasons should be given if some of that support is to be
>removed... (e.g. Jon Blow said that the XXX enet board's config didn't
>work with his system, so we removed it.  NO -- better justification
>must be given...)

Agreed, the generic kernals should support as wide a range of hardware
as possible, but only that hardware that is *necasary* for bootstrapping
a new system. For instance: Can anyone claim that they *must* have a
soundblaster driver to install a new system? :-)
The same applies to com3 and com4, can *anyone* present me with a scenario
in which someone *needs* 4 com ports in order to get the system initially
bootstrapped?

Gregc@edi.com